Anything and Everything, but please keep it clean
jimny-dave
MUD NUT
MUD NUT
My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:52 pm

Bought another Zook!

One owner, FSH, 43k miles...

Just waiting for the V5 so I can put it’s plate on... S2 NGV... just to hide it’s age ;)

Rang up to insure it... and it was only £40 a year more if it was modified :)) Be rude not too then? ;)
ubermeister
A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy
My Vehicle(s): The Old G.O.A.T.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:18 pm

jimny-dave wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:52 pm
Be rude not too then? ;)
And why not? I modded the GV on the strength of it needing a new balljoint.
jimny-dave
MUD NUT
MUD NUT

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:42 pm

So, I recently bought a 'New' Grand Vitara as a daily driver -

It's an old one, soon to be hidden behind a new personal plate - "S2 NGV" I've bought especially for this vehicle, as it's non age specific, and cheap, only £250, to hide it's age, and can be passed on if I ever sell the car, rather than paying to retain a number I might not want at the time...It's not my first NGV though... it's my fourth! :woohoo:

First there was -

A 3 door silver one... and then I went in to enquire about some roof rails, as you do, and came out with...

A five door one, which was fitted with a Rocky Road 2" lift and Pirelli Scorpion AT tyres...

Later, fairly recently, I had...

A red 3 door one, which was a diesel so it had the low-range option... (this blue petrol one doesn't :( )

That one had a 2" lift with trailmaster rear springs, ProComp rear shocks (both sourced from JimnyBits) and some front strut spacers I was selling at the time that had been made for me by the OffRoad Armoury...

So, to the blue one...

This is as I bought it, and at the time of taking this photo I was sat on the drive, leaning against the porch and wondering whether I could live with it un-modified...?

I rang Adrian Flux to ask them how many years NCD I had (17 years) as I was on "Compare the Meerkat" looking at insurance quotes... and Adrian Flux (who I've been insured with for many years) said they also do un-modified insurance, so I agreed to get a quote off them too... They couldn't quite beat the best quote on the comparison site, but could get close enough that I thought I'd stay with them as I've been happy with their service over the years... "Just out of interest", I said, "how much more would it be if I did modify it", I said... The very helpful chap came back and said "forty pounds"... a month I enquired?... Nope, for the whole year...

Might as well mod' it then?! =))

So, I began sourcing parts...I emailed Eibach, as I'd retailed their parts for many years as Bits4Vits... and... :( They wouldn't even give me trade pricing :( So I had a Google and ended up ordering some 20mm wheel spacers from a company in Germany who had them listed cheaper than my old cost prices?...

Next... a lift kit... I had a good Google at all the options, and ended up this time..

A 2" spacer lift kit from Richard Fox "Suzuki Mods", which seemed to be the best value I could find...

When It turned up I was very happy with the quality and the way it was put together... Front Strut Spacers, Rear Spring Spacers, Rear Shock Spacers, and some front castor correction bolts (although I've never needed them on the previous two I've lifted?)

That leaves?... Tyres!

Hmmm... another good Google one night trying to get a definitive answer to that age old question "how big can I go?!" LOL...

So after much debate...

I settled on a 245/65-17 which is just a bit bigger than the standard 225-65/17 tyres... So the gearing and Speedo won't be too far out, yet the tyres will nicely fill the arches and suit the 2" lift...

So, what brand?... I started searching again and looking at prices 'v' tread pattern, and kind-of settled on the BFG ATs... but, blimey, they're expensive!... So, more Googling, and - don't laugh (yet!) I ended up with...

"Roadcruza" tyres? WTF?... :lol: These are BFG AT copies but half the price! :woohoo:

A nice tread pattern, so I can live with the weird name on the sidewalls! :laugh: ... and they're a "new" tyre too, rather than the remould I would have expected them to be at the price... I did consider having them mounted with the name on the inside... but it will mostly be a "Roadcruza"! It might do the odd scenic flat greenlane, but will mostly be a daily driver...

I'll update when the lift kit and tyres are on! B)
Sparks
Mud Mad
Mud Mad
My Vehicle(s): Calmini'd Vitara

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Looks good Dave, I think we all knew it wouldn't be long before you started to mod it :))

Looking forward to the finished photos. :-bd
jimny-dave
MUD NUT
MUD NUT

Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:56 pm

Here you go then! ;) :-bd

Looks about right \m/

Not too much else to do to it...

Although I have bought a fake front skid plate, a Suzuki genuine part, I'll see if it's dry at the weekend...

And a roof basket -

Which is the right width but too long, but the item description (£74.99 off eBay) said it would require "home assembly", so I read that as "can be cut to suit" ! LOL

I had been looking at one from Italy, but they wanted £350 plus £85 delivery! :-j

And I thought it ended too far from the rear door, looks like to get round the radio aeriel! Mine will pop out throught the basket! LOL
jimny-dave
MUD NUT
MUD NUT

Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Back to pottering with the NGV today, I've had a week off work sick, but feeling a little better ow, so just a pottery day today. hoping to get back out in the garage and get back on with the Jimny Buggy next week though...

Back to the roofrack basket first...

And after measuring a couple of times, I chopped 10.5" out of the length, so that it suits the NGV better... you may remember the width was fine, but it was a little long, and the seller's item description on eBay said "home assembly required" so I figured it should be "adjustable" :))

Yup. cut 10.5" out of everything that runs lengthwise, and then re-drill all the holes in the ends ;)

Then on to the feet... I'd taken the roof rails apart a couple of weeks ago, and ordered longer stainless bolts and washers to suit my plans (65mm x 6mm if it helps anyone out there finding this on an internet search in the future ;) )

Make one foot plate, drill and test fit...

Happy with that one, so make another three...

Bolted in place like that, and then measure for the cross rails, some 40mm x 5mm steel bar so that the roof basket will sit nice and low on top of the actual roofrails... I had spent a few hours - whilst off sick - googling and looking at photos of aftermarket roof bars, but they all sat far too proud / high off the rails and would have looked awful... :( Hence making my own to suit B)

Using the pair of bars what came with the roof basket you get the idea how bad they'd look, as most systems I could find also had feet which gave even more height! x_x

So with the flat bar coming straight off the back edge of the feet I've made it will sit nice and low (i.e. remove the roof bars shown here)

So I've ordered the steel for that... looking around, everyone on eBay sells it by upto a metre, and I want a 95cm and a 105cm piece (back and front, the roof narrows in towards the back of the vehicle)... so rather than do a custom order or pay extra shipping from another supplier for a 3m bar to cut to length, I figured being as I'm welding them up anyway, I'll cut 5cm off the back metre length and weld that do the front metre bar to give me the 105cm piece I need... sorted on the cheap! =))

And, then, yet another cuppa tea (told you I was having a pottery day, not too much effort today! :lol: ) and...

This is a "front skid plate" fake moulding I bought cheap off eBay... it's a genuine Suzuki Accessory from back in the day when these NGVs were originally launched... :-bd

A bit of tape on the top edge, and three holes drilled through the bottom skin of the bumper and "christmas tree" panel clips used to hold it in place...

Looks alright, especially with the "spoiler" bits cut off the bottom edge of the sides of the bumper too... very much cosmetic, I can't see it coping with rocks?! =))

It's getting there, and I'm getting back to normal health too, so back into the garage for the winter soon to finish that there Boogie! ;)