View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Roadtrippin' 

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

My Vehicle(s): The Old G.O.A.T.
Post Roadtrippin'
Taking the GV on its first 'laning trip next weekend. Heading over to Wales first thing Wednesday morning for a couple of days of down time, been a bit hecktic at work and life recently, then meeting up with Nacho001 on Friday for some good camping and laning.
I have a couple of places I'd like to visit, but no real itinerary. Going to stop off at a mate's on the way for a coffee (I work nights and I'm coming straight from work, so I reckon I'm going to need that), then probably stop off at another mate's shop to grab supplies and chocolate :hal: , but other than that I have no real plan.
Looking forward to it, and will be sure to post piccys on my return.

xx

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:17 am

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)
Post Re: Roadtrippin'
:-h :-bd

Edit : Hope it's not Wednesday?! As I'm off to Yorkshire to pick up some wheels and tyres I won on eBay...

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

It was going to be, but if you're out, you're out. Glad I'm not the only one who travels miles to pick up parts for my truck.
I have no firm pkans until Friday evening, so if I'm still about tomorrow (Thursday) I might pop in.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 am

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

Wednesday
Set off on my roadtrip on Wednesday morning, straight from work after a night shift. I stopped off in Stoke to see a mate I don't get to see very often, had some breakfast and a good coffee, and also got to shoot some bows for the best part of an hour. A little rusty, but had a good time and hit my mark a few times.
Left Stoke and headed towards Llangollen, where I stopped off to see the two big aqueducts. The Pontcysyllte aqueduct I've walked over before, but also checked out the Chirk aqueduct.
I was planning to wild camp over by the coast somewhere, but by this point I'd been awake pushing 24 hours and I was knackered, so I booked a night at the Abbey campsit outside of Llangollen. I think I overpaid a little because I made the mistake of telling them I sleep in the truck so I got charged for a motorhome, but hey, I was that tired I figured it was safer than driving anymore.
Hotdogs and early to bed.

Thursday
Had a decent night's sleep, woke up two or three times, but then I usually do. Had a breakfast, and then decided to head north, and check in with another mate, our very own Jimny-Dave. Bought a few supplies, including milk so I didn't have to suffer another 2in1 coffee sachet, then headed for the coast. Living in Nottingham I am literally about as far from the sea as you can get, so if I'm within striking distance I never miss the opportunity to see the sea. Stopped off near Rhyl, and got soaked talking to the traffic warden, and that's where I am now: sat in a carpark overlooking the beach with a coffee and a box of luxury all butter stem ginger cookies my work mate gave me before setting off.

I'll check in again in a day or two, love y'all. xx

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:33 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)
Good to see you and have a good natter about all things Suzuki ;)

Dave :-bd

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): 2.0 Grand Vitara
Thursday evening (down south)

Just got back from picking up supplies, trailer has been loaded and is ready to rock.
I pick my passenger tomorrow who is bringing his mountain bike. Then off to mid Wales to meet up with Ant.
Looking forwards to seeing you buddy.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

Thursday (contd)
Headed over towards Anglesey and stopped off at the Menai Bridge. I parked up and had a walk over the bridge, which was nice.
Didn't have time to go looking for things to drive on Anglesey, so started to head south from there. Aimed for Betwys y Coed, just because, and then south down the A470 and towards Thursday's wild camp site, only to get there and find it already occupied. No-one around, but there were two tents there, so I had to replan my overnight. I headed over to Bala and a decent (and cheap) campsite I've used before. Got there and booked in, and was one of only two people there. Had a steak and cheese Subway in Bala, and a good night's sleep.

Friday
Today is the first day I've actually had any firm plan since leaving for Wales on Wednesday morning, and still not until 17:00hrs. Headed south from Bala, and back on to the A470. I'd seen a photo on here a while ago of Dom (Sparks on here) park on the Llansteffan suspension bridge, and I wanted to see it, so that's where I headed. I have some pictures, but I can't load them because it says the files are too big.
Went from there towards Painscastle, and the meeting point for the weekend's laning activities. Got there a little early, so made a coffee and some bacon cobs, and enjoyed the view and the quiet.
Matt (Nacho001) and party arrived about 17:30hrs, and a fire and dinner was had. Good times.

Weekend's laning in the next post.

xx

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:34 am

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

Friday (evening)
In the hour or so I waited for Matt and friends, there must have been 15 vehicles pass me on the lane, mostly land worker/owner types in tweed and flat caps. A couple of them even said hello. Set up camp and had something to eat, and a good natter and catch up. One of the group was riding the lanes we were driving, so had a blat on his mountainbike, too.

Saturday
It's from here on that I'm just playing follow the leader, so most of the time (until getting to Strata), I don't actually know where I am. Did a few miles before hitting our first 'lane, and the first time the GV has been off road. First impressions? Very happy with it, fells very solid and composed, and comfortable, too. Maybe something to do with it being a long wheelbase, only laned short wheelbase in the past. We stopped off to get some fuel and supplies, Builth Wells I think, then headed through Rhayayder and another lane. This started with a nice rocky climb and I enjoyed every second of it.
From there we headed over to Strata Florida. It'd rained quite a bit in the last couple of days, and I have to admit I was getting a little nervous about the water crossings as my truck has no snorkel on it. A bit of caution, and letting Matt go first with his snorkel so I could see how deep the waterholes were, and all was fine. Did manage to damage the truck slightly though, I knocked on of the plastic trims off the back door. Not quite sure if it was the tyre when the suspension flexed, or if I clipped a bank in one of the deep ruts. Either way, bit annoyed. There was a section of Strata I wasn't enjoying fully, what with worrying about the deep water and having damaged the truck, and damn, I'd forgotten how steep the bombhole actually is. All of that largely dissipated once we set up camp. Got a tarp up and sat around the (world's smokiest) campfire in the rain. When you're properly prepared for it, there's something special about camping in bad weather.

Sunday (part one)
Woke up and the rain had stopped, and the water level - which went up considerably in the night - was back to virtually where it stated. I sleep in the truck when I'm on my own, so I took advantage of the fact I don't really have to break camp and had a lie in. Vary first thing we had to do, because we'd camped right next to it, was one of the two water crossings I'd been most nervous about. I've only ever done Strata north to south as far as the bombhole because last time Munkee broke the heim arm on his truck and we bailed out on the forest tracks. I'm sure it feels way gnarlier this way. The water came to about the bottom of my bumper, so slow and steady and everything was fine. Once we set off we finished Strata, including the last water crossing with the rock step on the exit, and then made our way to Llyn Brianne reservoir. We stopped off to have a look at a bridge in the res which I might not be able to see again, as it has been exposed by the very low water levels. It's only a small footbridge over the river, but since damming the river it is usually 70 feet under water. That was cool. We stopped in the car park by the dam, which was the symbolic end of our greenlaning trip, and had coffee and bacon cobs.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I did take some but I'm not tech savvy enough to load them up now I can't use Photobucket.

xx

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]