View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Brake failure. 

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): Vitara.
Post Brake failure.
X( Almost wrote my Vit off tonight. Hit the brakes and not a lot happened. What is the best way to upgrade them. I have got some lwb front callipers and was going to get some vented disks and braided hoses.
What disks/callipers do I need to do a rear conversion and its running on 15" wheels.
The pedal needs pumping to get a solid feel but the brakes have been bled and there are no leaks.Does the servo need changing as well as the upgrade.
Cheers Steve.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Playing in the mud
Playing in the mud

My Vehicle(s): vera the vitara
Post Re: Brake failure.
hi mate

I go to my local scrap yard a bit to just gather spares really but I have noticed that there are different master cylinders on different vits so I would imagine that it would help to fit the rite one when upgrading to lwb brakes. ive also noticed that the lwb rear drums are bigger.

on my vit it helps the pedal feel a lot aswell as the efficiency (obviously) when I strip, clean and adjust the rear shoes.

hope this helps, towsey :D

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:03 am

Bomb Hole Digger
Bomb Hole Digger

My Vehicle(s): Grand Vitara TD
vitara s70 wrote:
X(
What disks/callipers do I need to do a rear conversion and its running on 15" wheels.

Here's a link to a rear disc conversion on a Suzuki SJ. I know it's not the same, but I guess looking at mine, that it'd be very similar.

When I had a Samurai I converted my rear drums to discs. I used SJ front discs and callipers with a transfer box handbrake. But Renault Megane/Scenic or Rover callipers, I can't remember which model Rover they were from, 200 rings a bell though, would have fitted straight on and had a separate handbrake.
It sounds like a bit of hard work to do, but it's not too at all.

here's some pictures...

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:15 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

My Vehicle(s): GV Overlord
Rover 600 calipers are what the MuddyZook kit uses. You have to use a calpier which will take a handbrake as the Vitara t-box has a slip joint on the drive shaft so you can't fit a handbrake to it.

You could use a hydraulic handbrake lever on a non roadgoing truck - which would mean you can use Vitara front calipers - but the MOT requires a handbrake separate to the hydraulic system.

Both kits use Vitara front discs.

Last edited by ubermeister on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

Thanks for the advice everyone. When time allows i think the muddy zook kit is the way to go.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:02 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

I have most of a disk conversion kit kicking about somewhere, the bloke I bought my Calmini off gave it to me. I thought it was a MuddyZook kit until I saw one, mine is a really bad and flimsy copy. I wouldn't use it having seen the proper one.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

The muddy zook kit is £145 + the callipers and disks, all of which will be new as I don't want to use or trust second hand brake parts. So its getting expensive but if the brakes work better then it will be worth it. Nothing like heading towards unmarked roadworks to test the brakes. The local tatters probably nicked the signs. :-??

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:47 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

I know the feeling only too well - I had a brake failure on my commercial a couple of weeks ago. Bloke in front jumped on the brakes, I hit the brakes...and the pedal might as well have been made of concrete for all it moved. Vacuum pump had gone, so no servo what-so-ever. Only JUST managed not to simultaniously redesign the front of my car and the rear of the one in front.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Offroad Guru
Offroad Guru

My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJ / Jimny / Other
There are commonly three types of servo, the LWB servo is a bigger diameter and won't fit a SWB. The other two are a slim Lucas servo and a wider servo, which one you have depends on which way round the battery tray is, I can't remember which is which, I had to swap mine because replacements for the 4u2 battery tray don't seem to be available. I had a disc conversion years ago and had lots of problems with the handbrake and excessive pedal travel so I swapped to LWB rear drums to suit the LWB fronts that I already had fitted.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:28 pm
Profile WWW

Playing in the mud
Playing in the mud

sorry to jump in but...

what handbrake cables would be used for a disc conversion on a vit, that fit both ends and are about the right length???

might help vitara s70 aswell

towsey :D

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Bomb Hole Digger
Bomb Hole Digger

My Vehicle(s): Grand Vitara TD
As far as I know mate, the Vitara original cables fit the callipers if you use any of the ones mentioned above, Rover 600, Meganne, Scenic. There may be more callipers you can use, you'd have to do a bit of digging. I think I found before that the MG ZS, or one of the MG Z's, has the same calliper as used to be on the Rover 600's, which are getting a bit hard to find 2nd hand these days.

- Post below merged at Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:32 pm - Please edit rather than double posting within 1 hour of last post - Admin -

Here's a link to some info about the MuddyZook kit http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/B17VTS/reardisks.html

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:32 pm

Playing in the mud
Playing in the mud

mmm cheers for that

rear discs are on my to do list and have been for a while cos im one of the many that's sick of stripping and cleaning them out, but just lately ive been trying to gather all the bits to sort the front end but im about there now.

yeah it does look like a standard cable in that link you kindly put up.

I wonder how close the trailling arm is on full axle droop tho???

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:31 am

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

Some good information here. Cheers everyone.
I hadn't thought about the handbrake cable. Cheers Towsey :-bd

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:01 am

My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.
Rear disks on a vit are a bad idea IMO.

Aside form adjusting the Bias, the style of rear bearing are not suitable for discs - check your rear wheel bearings. if there is any play at all (and there will be) then discs won't work well.

And IMO, the muddyzook kit has a few problems that need sorting; the bracket is made of steel that is too thin and flexible, and the wheels won't be held on by studs anymore. they're bolts/allthread.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:29 am
Profile WWW

Playing in the mud
Playing in the mud

no problem vitara s70, this is something ive thought about a few times but I was never on a forum to ask about it.

munkee, do you mean the old problem where the discs basically wobble and push the pads apart due to play in the bearing? and how does the bias end up after the job is done by the way, im guessing not too good???

I presumed that a drum was used to have the centre cut out of it to be used as an adapter plate for the discs, is this not true???

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next