View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build... 

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)
Membership Number: 29
Post Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
In a recent discussion I'd said how quiet it still is on here, and that by not posting we are all perpetuating the quietness, so 1nkling suggested I should post up about my recent build, as I admit I'm as guilty as everyone else for not posting, as I write my own blogs on my website...

So here we go, my recent Jimny (re-) build... take the daily driver Jimny -

And ADD -

ORA castor corrected radius arms, JimnyBits Panhards

I chose the ORA arms as they are built like girders, and have the ABS lines and vacuum pipes for the free wheeel hubs, contained in the I-section of the arms :-bd

JimnyBits +3" Springs and ProComp ES1000s

On go the 235/75s off the Vitara "Zukhini"

That's better! B-)

A "flatpack rollcage kit" came from the ORA \m/

ORA front winch bumper on, along with another personal plate! 8-} Winch is a Warrior 8000lb "high Speed" with synthetic rope...

My trusty waterproof bucket seat gets fitted in another vehicle... lasting well!

Rockwatt Rocklobster box on one of his awesome cradles fitted... also has two-wheel-drive mod fettled into it too B-)

Rockwatt 27 tooth speedo drive gets the speedo spot on (on 235/75s with a rocklobster)

Props in, getting there!

Sent the rear diff away to Rockwatt "the god-of-gearing" for him to install the ARB Airlocker for me! B-) :ymhug:

In!

Front 26 spline Rob Storr shafts and huge CVs awaiting fitting, so I can get the front LSD in! \m/

Spaghetti anyone?

Control panel in the middle of the dash... for compressor and locker, front and rear winches (rear still to be fitted) each with an a yellow isolator switch - so that the rocker in/out switches won't work until the aircraft switch is on, LED spot array, horns, rear work lights...

More spaghetti... Odyssey PC1200 battery, T-Max split charge, winch isolators, emergency battery bridge, relays, fuse box...

Breather kit from BigJimny fitted (slightly modified to meet my needs as the t-box had a 10mm pipe instead of an 8mm)

Compressor (for the rear ARB airlocker) all installed on the...

Rear rollhoop...

Lighter socket swapped for a USB charger for the iPad, tiny CB fitted, and we're ready to 'lane... Phase One complete...

Phase Two is to get the LSD and 26 spline shafts into the front axle ;)

And then Phase Three is an ORA rear bumper, custom (home-made!) roofrack / treesliders to protect the soft/hard tops, and ORA sill protectors... All soon'ish!

Hope you like! ;)

- Post below merged at Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:10 pm - Please edit rather than double posting within 1 hour of last post - Admin -

First trip out after the re-build, up to the Lake District for the day with "our little group" -

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Well chuffed with it... on the road it does 60/70mph with ease, around 4000rpm for 65mph, and has excellent road manners thanks to it's open rear diff (air-locker) on the road... and there's a JimnyBits anti-rollbar quick disconnect kit arrived to make it even smoother on the road too...

Then offroad, what I'm aiming for, is to get to whereever we're greenlaning, deflate the tyres a bit, undo the front anti-rollbar, flick a couple of switches to lock the rear diff, and then when I select 4WD on the transfer stick the original vacuum operated hubs will latch onto the new big CVs and 26 spline shafts, which will be fitted into the Calmini front LSD (stolen from the Vitara(s)), and that should give me the ultimate traction off road, with the Rockwatt Rocklobster box giving me nice low controlable gearing... that's the idea anyway!

Hopefully the best of both worlds, on road and off road! :biggrin:

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:10 pm

My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.
Membership Number: 51
Post Re: Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
:-q

It's not a vit.

:spam:

Nice work as always Dave, and may I say, your perseverence to get that bumper fitted should be applauded! =))

You gonna be at the Jimny meet in October?

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:41 pm
Profile WWW

My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJ / Jimny / Other
Membership Number: 18
Its an awesome truck!

Kev

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:21 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

Munkee wrote:
:-q

It's not a vit.

:spam:

Nice work as always Dave, and may I say, your perseverence to get that bumper fitted should be applauded! =))

You gonna be at the Jimny meet in October?

Ummm, no, it's not a Vit', but it is still a SZOOKY! Could have been worse ;)

Awww, in fairness, it wasn't a job too fit the bumper, it just lifts onto the brackets, the trouble was I was re-using a winch I bought for the buggy, so I had to make it fit... wasn't spending out on another winch! ;)

Yes, should have it "finished" for the Jimny Meet, Brett & I are coming down on the Saturday and roughing it in a Travel Lodge ;) :))

kevin wrote:
Its an awesome truck!

Kev

Thanks Kev' :ymblushing: Yes, I'm chuffed with it... was great offroad on it's first outing... a couple of niggles to sort out... be "better" when I can get my signature LSD in the front ;)

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Nice shiny truck...... then we go and do this to it! :-o :-??

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:06 pm

My Vehicle(s): GV / SJ / Jimny / Other
Membership Number: 0
:-bd :-bd :-bd

Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:18 am

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

mrleft wrote:
:-bd :-bd :-bd

Hi Mr. Left :-h

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 am

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): '88 SJ, 88.5 SJ Tintop
Membership Number: 42
Now THAT is an informative build post! ^:)^

It finally answers in picture form - for me, at least - how one deals with caster problems on the trailing arm-equipped Jimny lift!

Now if I could only rush out in a buying frenzy and get my own Jimny....

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai tintop, '11 Red Ford Transit Connect Van

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 am
Profile WWW

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): Vitara 1999 4u
Membership Number: 50
that is a lovely build///

still think the bumper is a little.. large

"i want the BIGGEST bumper you do please... give me that one off the front of that gritting lorry"

"what the snowplow?"

"yes that one"

Sweet. Intercooler, bigger exhaust, turn boost up, tune the pump, blow the head gasket, fix it up, more boost, water injection, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, turn fuel up more, cook the head, fix it up again, EGT gauge,

Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:45 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

My Vehicle(s): Toymota LJ70 LandCruiser
Membership Number: 66
Awesome work Dave. :ymapplause:

Have you used the air locker yet? :-?

I love my air lockers! :ymapplause:

Instant traction at the flick of a switch! :twisted:

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Offroad Guru
Offroad Guru

Membership Number: 69
Ack wrote:
It finally answers in picture form - for me, at least - how one deals with caster problems on the trailing arm-equipped Jimny lift!

I used trailing arms fitted with offset bushes, I got them second hand from the Welshman :D

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 pm
Profile WWW

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

Ack wrote:
Now THAT is an informative build post! ^:)^

Now if I could only rush out in a buying frenzy and get my own Jimny....

That's just a summary Ack' ;) Picture overload here

toseland wrote:
that is a lovely build///

still think the bumper is a little.. large

Thanks Mike :ymhug:

Ummm, yes, it's a bit like Marmite... but it's strong, protects the front of me Jimny well, and houses the winch very well though! ;)

I've had a few people say they don't like the wheels too?! But they came straight off the Zukhini Vitara with the correct size tyres (235/75/15s) I wanted, and are old strong alloy Vitara wheels with the right offset, and compliment the lower half of the Jimny's paint, so they'll do for me...

But, that's one of the great things about modifying little Zooks, they're all different, and we all like different things :-bd

Ben wrote:
Awesome work Dave. :ymapplause:

Have you used the air locker yet? :-?

I love my air lockers! :ymapplause:

Instant traction at the flick of a switch! :twisted:

Hi Ben :-bd Good to see you the other day! :ymhug:

Yes, they got a bit of testing in the lake District the other day... Yes, awesome, especially having an open diff on the road... I've just had one of these delivered to improve the road manners even more, and to aid the traction I'm trying to squeeze the LSD in the front.

Rhinoman wrote:
Ack wrote:

I used trailing arms fitted with offset bushes, I got them second hand from the Welshman :D

Cheers James, selling some of the parts off it have aided it's transformation :-bd

Breaking the "Zukhini" Vitara in the next couple of weeks, to help the credit card recover a bit ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rear ORA bumper has arrived this week too :-bd bare steel again so I can get it done in (almost-) matching "silky silver" powder coat... I just need to weld some mounts on the top corners to take a roofrack / tree slider bars before it goes for coating...

Thanks All :-bd

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:08 am

Membership Number: 18
How far off are you from getting the LSD into the front diff? its an interesting bit of frankenstein engineering!
That sway bar link is a superb, simple bit of kit eh..

Kev :-bd

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:27 am

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

kevin wrote:
How far off are you from getting the LSD into the front diff? its an interesting bit of frankenstein engineering!
That sway bar link is a superb, simple bit of kit eh..

Kev :-bd

Hi Kev' ;)

Usual August for me I'm afraid... the daughters are in a show all this week, so the wife is chaperoning the performances and rehearsals so I have had / got no time at the moment... back to "normal" next week, but then they fly off to Crete on the 17th to the 31st, but that means I'll have three sundays home alone to whip the front diff out of Zukhini and extract the Calmini LSD, and whip the front axle apart on the Jimny, and send the diff and the LSD over to Rockwatt the "god-of-gearing" to weave his magic and blend the two together, and then rebuild it into the front axle when it comes back, with those Rob Storr 26 spline shafts, spacers, and hooge CVs... Rob assures me the vacuum operated hubs will still work, which is my goal... open diffs on the road (and that ingenious anti-rollbar disconnect) and awesome traction offroad with a couple of flicks of some buttons and a lever...

So, soon, hopefully... \m/

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:35 am

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): Vitara
Membership Number: 45
toseland wrote:
"i want the BIGGEST bumper you do please... give me that one off the front of that gritting lorry"

"what the snowplow?"

"yes that one"

=)) =)) =))

Lovely build nonethe less though. :-bd

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:51 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

Ahhh... after 3 or 4 weeks of rehearsals and the eventual 6 shows / 4 days run of "Bugsy Malone", my wife and daughters came home, and life returned to "normal" (or as normal as it gets round here) and I got my usual Wednesday "day" off to work on the Jimny... B-)

I started by clearing the garage out after re-building the Jimny as a 'laner, and then reversed it back in, intent on stripping the front axle to get the diff out to get it blended with the LSD to be stolen from the "Zukhini" Vitara...

But... I figured as it was raining, and the jimny was backed into the newly tidied garage, I might as well get the rear bumper sorted so that I can get it sent for powder coating in matching "silky silver" powdercoat...

So...

Off came the original silver plastic bumper...

And in went the ORA bumper brackets (these should mount with the same bolts as my tow-bar, which is to be redesigned as a rear winch tray)...

There, the ORA rear bumper is loosely bolted in place...

Nice and chunky!

Rear lights test fitted... I'll have to go and get some bar to weld over the joins in the light's sections to protect the lenses...

I then worked out that the winch needed 6.5" of room, which meant cutting 3.5" off the bottom edge of the bumper...

So I cut and bended back a tab of metal to keep the rigidity of the bumper, and then began cutting another oval slot...

To mount a (JimnyBits sourced) 6-LED spotlight array behind as an auxiliary reversing light, if needed...

Back on the Jimny again for test-fitting...

And test-fiting where the roofrack / tree slider bars will land...

More soon! ;;)

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next