View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes 

My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.
Post Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes
After some committee discussion, a few initial changes will be made to SS.

The first, and most important are as follows.

1. Shropshire Suzuki will, from this point onwards, be an internet forum/community.

When started, SS was a local club and resource, as it's expanded, the benefits of becoming a member (primarily, events, and associated insurance) have dropped off. As we now have members all over the UK and worldwide, it was felt that a 'free' forum/community would be more beneficial for most members.

2. SS will be a free resource.

We're still sorting out how to fund the forum in the long term. The likelihood is that we'll offer a donation system, and ask for (modest) donations whenever funds are low. no profit will be made from SS. Any money raised will be used solely for forum costs (server fees etc). We'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

3. Currently paid-up members.

You kind folks that are currently paid-up members have the option of requesting your membership fee back. if you do not request it back, we will use it for future forum costs, with thanks.

More changes will be forthcoming (including that server move...), but our hopes are that we'll create an even more open and friendly place for all us suzuki (and other 4x4) nuts to meet up.

SS is run for you. I'm talking to you, yes you, Guest. we'd like to know what you want from the forum. :-bd

Cheers to you all.

Steve

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:35 pm
Profile WWW

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

My Vehicle(s): GV Overlord
Post Re: Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes
I'm happy for you to keep my membership fee, if I had it back I'd only spend it on sweets and chocolate and end up fat and dead anyway.

And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beasts saying, 'Come and see.' and I saw, and behold a white horse

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): '88 SJ, 88.5 SJ Tintop
SS is run for you. I'm talking to you, yes you, Ack. we'd like to know what you want from the forum. :-bd

As an international visitor to the site, my main interest is:

A. Trying to help folks with questions (sometimes this results in Epic FAILS!).

II. Learning about vehicles, products, and offroading lifestyles that I am not exposed to where I live.

3. Trying to be helpful... Didn't I mention that above?

The biggest irritation that I have with Shropshire Suzuki (sorry, I can't call it "ss" - that reminds me either of a model of Chevrolet automobile or a dark bit of our past...) is the fact that the home page does not get updated with new information/pictures on a regular basis. How long ago did the helicopter ambulance service get robbed?

Every once in a while, one should change the homepage to announce an event (BIGJIMNY MEET 2014?), news about offroading in the UK like greenlaning issues or an index of site useage tutorials.

I know doing something like this is labour-intensive (note the 'u'!) but it is what one has to do to make the site "snap" and generally improve things on the site.

About how to pay for the site overhead...

I gave up long ago trying to figure out a way to cover the overhead for Ack's FAQ. Donations dribble in to the extent that I almost break even cost-wise for server fees. There is no way that I'll ever make enough money to cover the time I spent creating and maintaining the site... I run Ack's FAQ as a way to give back to the hobby for what it has given me.

Monetising is either a waste of time or, somehow, the knack of making folks pay to advertise on the site has escaped me.

Bottom line - a website like Shropshire Suzuki is a labour of love (another properly-placed "u"!). To make it less of a pain in the rectal area, you have to somehow figure out a way to make the experience enjoyable.

To quote The Wizard of Oz's Wicked Witch of the West: "These things must be done delicately..."

Finally, feel free to PM me, you wacky moderators! Who knows what I might agree to!

Longing for a bacon butty, I remain,

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai tintop, '11 Red Ford Transit Connect Van

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:41 am
Profile WWW

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): Vitara 1999 4u
wait.. Shropshire suzuki is mine?

ill take it... and your TD lol,

although i would hjazard a guess that teh 120 or so BHP mine is producing is sweeter haha

Sweet. Intercooler, bigger exhaust, turn boost up, tune the pump, blow the head gasket, fix it up, more boost, water injection, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, turn fuel up more, cook the head, fix it up again, EGT gauge,

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:09 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)
I always think 'members' should donate a little when selling parts through the forum...

Remembering eBay / Paypal sales take just over 13% of your sale value... so donating 5% or 10% to the forum is saving money, and contributing at the same time... :-bd

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:23 am

Site Admin
Site Admin

My Vehicle(s): 99 Vitara SWB
A good suggestion there Ack about the main page that will definitely be taken on board. I've a couple of ideas about how I can liven that up.

Money wise we're alright for the moment. Bills will go up a bit when we switch over to a new server but there are ways to get funds in. We still have a lot of tshirts left, my sticker cutter is up and running again plus as Dave rightly says we can hopefully encourage members to donate if they sell something via the forum.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:49 pm

Offroad Guru
Offroad Guru

My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJ / Jimny / Other
I don't know why your askin me Steve, yes you STEVE!, my 4x4 is propping my fence up in the back garden!lol
Besides I doubt there are many ppl in here that even know who I am!.
You guys have taken over the site so it's up to you what you do with it.
S.S will always be dear to me for several reasons as some of you will know , if you want to make it a free forum that's up to you, we charged to help cover costs of website costs and for get togethers and to pay for renting off road sites etc, unfortunately they are no longer organised even though I know there are several members that used to love our weekends and would equally love to do them again.
If you choose to go down, just the forum, route that is entirely your decision as club owners.
I will always be here for support if needed and have telephone numbers and addresses off road sites should you change your minds and want to do a play day.
Any questions? :happy:

If the mud aint a flyin you aint a tryin! ;o) - Yes there are plenty of fish in the sea... i will always love you :O)...Loving you is like breathing. . . how can I stop? ...how can you still love someone as much after they have been gone so long!!

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:47 am
Profile YIM

Site Admin
Site Admin

MUDDYWENCH wrote:
I don't know why your askin me Steve, yes you STEVE!, my 4x4 is propping my fence up in the back garden!lol
Besides I doubt there are many ppl in here that even know who I am!.
You guys have taken over the site so it's up to you what you do with it.
S.S will always be dear to me for several reasons as some of you will know , if you want to make it a free forum that's up to you, we charged to help cover costs of website costs and for get togethers and to pay for renting off road sites etc, unfortunately they are no longer organised even though I know there are several members that used to love our weekends and would equally love to do them again.
If you choose to go down, just the forum, route that is entirely your decision as club owners.
I will always be here for support if needed and have telephone numbers and addresses off road sites should you change your minds and want to do a play day.
Any questions? :happy:

You remember one april fools when I put a thing in that made whoever looked at the text see their own name? Well.. :-"

Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Offroad Guru
Offroad Guru

My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJ / Jimny / Other
=)) x_x :ymapplause: ya got me!

If the mud aint a flyin you aint a tryin! ;o) - Yes there are plenty of fish in the sea... i will always love you :O)...Loving you is like breathing. . . how can I stop? ...how can you still love someone as much after they have been gone so long!!

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:49 pm
Profile YIM

Winch Bitch
Winch Bitch

My Vehicle(s): Vitara JX 4 U
I know you can check the latest active threads by clicking on "View active topics", but would it not be better to have the newest topics on the home page rather than having threads from 2012 and older in the "Latest News" ? It just looks like nothing has happened here since then.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:59 pm

Site Admin
Site Admin

Finally managed to get access to the server again. I've just updated the portal and fixed that annoying error it was throwing up. Will update the board to the latest version in the next couple of days and then it will be ready to move to a new server. I'll let everyone know when thats going to be happening.

Once its moved we'll start to change things around. Maybe time for a new style again?

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:03 pm

Site Admin
Site Admin

Bump..

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]