8v tbi vitara, need more power!

Anything to do with the Vitara Series
simeon
My Vehicle(s): NCF Arctic (Vitara)

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:13 pm

I just recently got my Vitara project on the road. As it stands, all of the running gear is standard vitara ('96 8v tbi manual), the only modifications so far are the air filter which is a K&N and the wheel/tyre combo which are 265/70R16 on 8x16 PCW rims (came on the car).

This is the first petrol engined car with an ecu that I have owned, more than 20 years of driving diesel vehicles and conventional petrols.

The engine is in good order, good even compression and fully serviced incl. timing belt. I have Rhinoview and all is well with the electronics/sensors/actuators.

The truck drives well, and will hit 70 mph on the motorway but struggles to accelerate up moderate inclines. I realise that the tyre size is the root cause of this, but there aren't a lot of options for lowering the drive ratio (that I know of). Fifth gear is almost useless below 65 mph.

By a bit of rough calculation, I think an increase of 8-10hp would overcome some of the problems of the increased gearing.

My plan was to do the following:
Make up a de-cat pipe.
Disable the EGR (disconnect the solenoid, so that it won't respond to the ECU).
Change the thermostat to an 88 degC (higher running temp, more efficient combustion).
Advance base timing to 10degrees, and run super unleaded fuel.
Reposition air intake to front of engine bay for cooler air.

Is there anything else that can be done easily?