Vitara frame chop mod

Anything to do with the Vitara Series
ubermeister
A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy
My Vehicle(s): The Old G.O.A.T.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Does anyone know about, of have any experience with, the frame chop mod like the one on this truck off the Zukiworld www?
One of the articles I read said it was a popular mod with members of the Raging Rhinos in the UK.
I miss my off roader and I'm looking to build something new and serious, and I'm essentially wanting to build a GV version of that Bandit Vitara.
Any information appreciated, cheers.
mud and diesel
Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis
My Vehicle(s): Big Vitara TDI

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:46 pm

I have nothing to add, but it looks very well thought out! dropping the front 4” like that improves the rear prop angle whilst maintaining the standard front geometry, allowing for more lift to fit bigger wheels for clearance. It adds a bit too much length to keep anything remotely standard looking body wise, but if your building something like this I doubt you’d be too concerned.
ubermeister
A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy
My Vehicle(s): The Old G.O.A.T.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 am

I don't get how dropping the front end improves the rear prop angle? As I understand it they leave the engine/gearbox in their original positions. Moving the rear axle back would ease the u/j angles though.

You're right about needing to trim the bodywork, and that is what I plan to do. I'm not getting rid of the GV, so the new one doesn't need to be any sort of daily driver.

Did you have to do much work to the bulkhead to get the 33's on the RatBastard?
mud and diesel
Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 pm

My mistake, I’ve just had another look and it’s clear that the engine is unbolted off it’s mounts and the chassis lowered away from it. Obviously having no effect on prop angles #-o

No mods to bulkhead to get the 33’s on the Rat, other than trimming the bottom of the wings back and massaging the seam back on the inner wing.
Obviously with Calmini lower arms, jimny bits 3” GV diesel lift springs and a 10mm spacer to get it sitting just right.
Munkee
My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Hm.

Can you say IVA?

Raging rhinos didn't do it that neatly IIRC, they just chopped the front end off a chassis and welded it direct to the bottom of another chassis. Heavy. And if you're going to all that trouble for something that's not a daily drive, IFS front end.

Just IMO.

[/killjoy]
mud and diesel wrote: ...turns out ive got a robins nest in my overalls, with a chick in so im going to have to leave the little sod for the next 2 weeks
nacho001
Mud Mad
Mud Mad
My Vehicle(s): 2.0 Grand Vitara

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 pm

From memory, I think Dave learned this lesson the hard way. 'stumpy' the Bob tailed gv...
No cutty cutty of chassis's... ;)
mud and diesel
Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm

I’d say it all depends how rusty the front of the chassis was before you “repaired” it to the best of your abilities :))
jimny-dave
MUD NUT
MUD NUT
My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:33 pm

The early ProComp 2.5" lifts did something similar but using wishbone mount drop brackets...

I'll have photos in the K9RDJ archives, but here's one off another truck as an example -

See the bits in the top middle of the photo? Like that so they bolt into the wishbone mounts and replicate them underneath...

So you wouldn't have to chop and weld chassis together ;)

Edit : Sorry, just followed the link in the original post and seen the front axle has been moved forward a fair bit... I suppose this could also be accommodated in a bolt-on drop-and-move-forward couple of brackets (perhaps strengthened together with a skid plate under)