View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Matts new build thread... 

My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.
Post Re: Matts new build thread...
yeah, got a grey 'no entry' sign.

:error:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:01 pm
Profile WWW

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): 2.0 Grand Vitara
ok... made some changes to permissions, but odd as they are in the same album as the others in the thread.
Let me know if that made any difference.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

My Vehicle(s): GV Overlord
nacho001 wrote:
really... thats odd.
Anybody else got an issue seeing them?

For me it just says image where there's supposed to be a, well, an image. Bloody technology.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis

My Vehicle(s): Big Vitara TDI
Nothing showing for me either.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:37 am

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

i think thats it... fixed...?

Someone let us know? Cheers.

While i am at it, i shall post some more...

the new design of rear bumper relys on the spare being lifted to allow the bumper to be flat, i.e. with no cut out for the spare wheel.
So a bracket is required :)

Lifting the wheel up and making at a nicer angle to lift the Tyre on.
Sorry no pics of the bracket... yet. Watch this space.

Thought i would role her out and turn it round, so took a pic from more than 4ft away :)
Not to bad looking i thought. Cant wait to get the front bumper on.

And on the subject... A-bar now welded on, along with the number plate support brackets.

For those that are familiar, there is a small compressor pump that engages the front diff on a GV, its mounted to the standard bumper spar.
So a new mount was required, tucked behind the new bumper.

Just waiting for the paint, ordering acid etch primer and black raptor paint on Friday.
Really looking forward to spraying it with the raptor paint.
The water jet cut drawing for the rear have been created, and are going off to the man on monday.
Lets hope they fit... :shock:

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

Hi all.
So lots of stuff is arriving, speeded up by the Christmas delivery wind up i would have thought.
Had a few issues this last week, i have been experiancing extreme dizzy episodes, even fell over a few times. Much to the entertainment of my wife...
But got some pills for it, so carry on...

Picked up the metal work for the rear bumper, time to see if the method i have employed to make the bends is going to work.
As you can hopefully see, the idea is that along the bend line it is almost completely cut through, with only a few points where its stills joined. With the application of a little force, it happily bends along the cut line, allowing my to lay in a filet weld when bent.

All bent and tacked in the corners... Test fit here we go.
The wide angle lens of the phone cammera makes it look a little to wide, but the ends of the bumper are 10-15mm narrower than the arch extensions, so should be fine.

There are end caseings that go under the light clusters and transition in to the arch, but a small hickup on my part, saw them supplied to the water jet cutter at half scale... so they arrived a little on the small side!
Not to worry, it can be fixed. New file sent i will pick them up next week some time.

Skipped a few steps here, but needless to say the bumper got welded.

A view of the supporting substructure... All will become clear i promise... :)
You can see here the plan to include 2 small air tanks, mainly for airing up tyres and the like, but partly for a chuffing load air horn...! :biggrin:

Now the reason for the chunky sub structure... 2" receiver hitch built in.

Couple of chunky 'L' brackets to attach it all to the towbar mounts on the rear of the chassis.

So... wait for the side pieces, assemble and hope that it all matches up with the car.
Then allot of grinding and flatting to do, get rid of all the welds on the outside, then there are 4 cans of acid etch primer to go on the rear and front bumper (which is all ready for paint).
Then (although it hasn't got here quite yet) there is 4L of raptor paint coming to finish them both off. :)

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:00 pm

My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.
Lookin good bud.

:!! :!! :!!

:(|)

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

Morning all.
She is getting there, not to much left to do, although there's not to much time to do it in before the January shake down to Wales.

So the Raptor paint arrived, along with 4 cans of acid etch primer.
The plan being to paint the front bumper and get it on the car.

First coats of primer applied, left for a day and a second coat applied.

I figured that i would only be painting the outside with the Raptor, so the inside of the parts got painted with plain old black spray paint.
This also means that i haven't got a logistical nightmare when applying the Raptor, around painting one side then needing to turn it over and paint the other resting it on the side i just painted.... considering that the raptor is a 2 part mix.

Raptor comes as a Kit, with 4 bottles of 750mls and one bottle of hardener.
The kit i bought also comes with the gun too.
The process...
  • Fill the bottle with hardener to the line.
  • Shake the bottle for 2 mins.
  • screw the supplied underseal gun on to the bottle and attach an air line at 50psi
  • Spray on the part

Points of note,
You can achieve differing finishes by altering the pressure used.
Although you don't get the clouds of airborne paint using this stuff, it still has allot of over spray, and its a bugger to get off. So plenty of sheeting required.
Clean the gun immediately, its 2 pack, so will make a good job of blocking the gun up. :)
At about 12 degrees c, it took about 1.5 hrs to become touch dry. it recommends no lower than 8c.

So spraying commenced...

It all got left for 2 days to dry, and then came in to the house to be left in the spare room in the warm.
Point of note, it will make the spare room stink :) the wife was not impressed... :) she puts up with allot...

Long story short... it all work perfectly. I think i needed to leave it a tiny amount longer between 1st and 2nd coat, at the temperature i did it at. but other than that it went very well.

So moving on from the front bumper, to getting somewhere near finished for the rear bumper.
Having fixed the minor cock up on the scale of the side pieces, they have been bent and welded on to the main spar of the rear bumper.
This one shows one of the LED clusters that are built in to the bumper.
The astute among you (Steve ;) ) may recognize the spare... Its just hung on the new bracket to get a feel for the look of the car :) It's being well looked after...

And sprayed up the underlying substructure that forms the tow bar beneath the bumper, to hold the 2" receiver hitch.

A few minor issues that if i make another will be rectified, like the continuation of the arch being a different radius, but nothing that's the end of the world.
So waiting on the number plate lights and the towing electrics plug to drill the last holes in it, and i can paint that to.

Its really starting to come together now, today i will be wiring in the winch, and trying to run the airline from the 2 tanks at the rear of the car to the engine bay, ready for the compressor to be fitted.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:32 am

Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis

My Vehicle(s): Big Vitara TDI
Fantastic fab work! Those bumpers look brilliant Matt.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:42 am

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

Cheers buddy.
I reckon i might make some and stick them on ebay... this time... :)

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3