View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Patching up rusty body supports - Best practice ?? 

Playing in the mud
Playing in the mud

My Vehicle(s): 2001 Grand Vitara 2.0i
Post Patching up rusty body supports - Best practice ??
Hi All,

Well I'd like to say "long time no see", but it's not really been that long. - Only a couple of months since my last GV related problem.

And, in the intervening couple of months, I've had to replace both the CV boots and the drop links (2nd time in 2 years for the drop links!), so I'm getting the feeling that my 2001 GV has definitely reached the end of it's design life.

However, I'm still refusing to turn off the life support and am now asking the doctors (or more accurately Bloke with welding torch) to help me get this old girl back on the streets for another couple years.

Anyway.
I'm not entirely sure what the correct terminology is but - the area of floor panel to which the body/chassis-frame mounts are attached is seriously rotten on 3 out of the 4 mounts, and I need to get lots of rusty plate chopped out and lots of new plate welded in.

So I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me what the "best practice" is for this procedure. Currently I'm planning to have work done on tuesday, and I've told welder that if he struggles to part the body from the chassis frame, he can chop the triangular mounting brackets off the chassis in order to get access to the under floor.

Is he likely to need to do this? Or is it relatively easy to part the body from the Chassis frame once the bolts are undone? Do you need to undo anything else? (Seems likely !!) I'm no welder, but I guess he probably needs at least a 6 inch gap between bracket and the under floor to get his new plate and welding torch in.

All help/advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
Brian

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:59 pm

My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.
Post Re: Patching up rusty body supports - Best practice ??
It's not too bad getting the chassis and body apart, but undo all brake lines, hand break mech, fuel lines etc that are attached to both, plus the bumpers will probably have to come off.

Plus gas all the bolts involved NOW! and every day from now on.

Honestly, if you do this, it will be easy, if you don't it'll be painful, and become an arse of a job.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:27 pm
Profile WWW

Playing in the mud
Playing in the mud

Many thanks for your advice Munkee. Sound's easy the way you say it !!

Unfortunately I've got car and welder/gas lives 30 miles away. However I can leave it with him for several days if necessary. I'll pass on advice and discuss it with him on Tuesday.

Thanks again. I'll let you know if she pulls through !

Cheers,
Brian

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:01 pm

Playing in the mud
Playing in the mud

Hi Munkee,

Job's done. Picked her up on Wednesday, and now there's lots of nice, thick, solid, steel where previously there was only crumbly, red, misery.

Didn't go with lifting the body. Welder convinced me that he was a lot better at steel fabrication than he was taking off fuel pipes etc, and that it was by far the cheaper way to go. Needless to say - we did it his way!

However, although he's made a brilliant job of constructing the new box sections that the body is sitting on, and the brackets are so beautifully welded back in place they look factory fresh; unfortunately he's not left any drainage holes in the new box sections. So I've now got a couple of water traps that'll hold a litre each, permanently immersing the two small diameter bolts which are pretty much all that's holding the front of the body to the rest of car. Which isn't entirely great news.

I have however discovered that if you completely fill any under floor cavities you have with wax oil, there's less room for the water to get in, and things generally don't rust as quick.

1st can of wax oil didn't go very far towards filling the cavities tonight. Must buy a couple more tomorrow !

Thanks anyway Munkee. Hopefully it'll keep her running for a couple more years!

All the best.
Brian

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]