View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Grand vitara 3" body lift 

My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJ / Jimny / Other
Post Grand vitara 3" body lift
Hi guys just bought myself a 2002 grand vitara sport and also purchased a 3" body lift I'm new to off-roading but have great mechanical knowledge so will be looking to fit the lift myself so I was wondering what modifications I will need i.e steering spacers, longer brake lines etc... If there's anyone who can help me I'd be very grateful :)

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:52 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

My Vehicle(s): The Old G.O.A.T.
Post Re: Grand vitara 3" body lift
It's quite a bit of work body lifting GV apparently. There's a thread on here where someone did one, but I've just had a look and the pictures have gone.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:45 am

I've heard it's a bit of work aslong as I know what I need to lift the body parts etc... I'll try and work the rest out as I go :) I've had a look on bits4vits and Jimmnybits but they seem to only supply the kit as a bolt on product and can't find any other information if anythink else is needed

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)
Hi Damian... no luck with JimnyBits then :(

Some information from me as an enthusiast then ;) (I said to Damian that his questions should really go the the purveyor of the kit he bought)

Here's one of my guides, to fitting a 3" bodylift onto an X90 I once had, very similar with a GeeVee though - http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/x-alt- ... g_121.html

Just make sure as you go that all the pipes and wires stretch enough as you go...

There's also photos of my old steering spacers there, I don't make them anymore, as I simply can't compete with the (price of the) body lift kits from JimnyBits anymore... the cost of mine with full width +3" height versions of the original body mounting bushes just makes them look far too expensive in comparison, so I've wound them down, and consequently don't have the steering spacers produced...

You MAY not need steering spacers though... and if you do you can always have the shaft cut, sleeved and welded?

You won't need longer brake lines UNLESS you're also running a large (3") suspension lift... and even then, if you do, I would presume you would be able to do the "brake line cheat" described in that blog where you redrill the hole for the brake line a couple of inches down -

Then you don't even need to bleed the brakes! :)

Also, with a 3" lift, you'll need to extend -

The gearstick
The transfer stick lever
The fuel tank filler tube and the breather return
Make some brackets to lift your bumpers back up to suit their new position in relation to the body's new position

So, it's not a simple kit to fit as Ooob' said above...

Note that at the end of that blog I also lifted the fuel tank into the void made by the body lift... I don't think that's possible on the Grand Vitara from my experiences with "Stumpy" -

See how those bands go over the top of the fuel tank?

And for heaven's sake don't shorten like I did... long story of a short car! LOL

Hope that helps...

Dave (Bits4Vits)

- Post below merged at Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm - Please edit rather than double posting within 1 hour of last post - Admin -

Stumpy - http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/stumpy ... og_80.html - had a 2" body lift fitted, and I don't recall having to fit steering spacers to it?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

My Vehicle(s): The Old G.O.A.T.
I wish you still had Stumpy so I could knick the wheels, I'd love a set of those alloys. :biggrin:

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:26 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

Richard and Amanda "Waterbabies" still have Stumpy secreted away in a barn somewhere... ;)

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Thank you Dave that's a great help :) makes things more clear now :) with the gear stick and the transfer stick isit just a simple case of cutting them in half and welding on a piece to make them 3inches longer or isit more to it than that extending the fuel hose shouldn't be a problem as I work for samco sport and sure they can supply me with some hose am I right in thinking the Jimny steering spacers are different to the grand vitara ones you've been a great help thanks Dave

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): 2014 Lifted S-Cross
Hi Damian,
This was my build thread, but I am slowly having to go back and correcting the pictures from Photobucket for you.
Hope it helps
Eeeee

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18069&p=144519#p144519

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:04 pm

Aww mate that's brilliant :) that's going to help me so much thank you. Am I right in thinking you didn't have to extend the gear stick or transfer stick :) I'm going to tackle it this weekend and see how it goes cheers mate :)

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:57 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

Damian1988 wrote:
Thank you Dave that's a great help :) makes things more clear now :) with the gear stick and the transfer stick isit just a simple case of cutting them in half and welding on a piece to make them 3inches longer or isit more to it than that extending the fuel hose shouldn't be a problem as I work for samco sport and sure they can supply me with some hose am I right in thinking the Jimny steering spacers are different to the grand vitara ones you've been a great help thanks Dave

No worries Damian :-bd

Gear sticks - viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7010 - that's for the Vitara, but they are basically the same...

Hmmm, let me have a look at the Jimny Steering Spacers (I have a pair in stock) and see if they would fit...

http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/jimny/ ... _1249.html

Regards
Dave

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:09 am

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): 2014 Lifted S-Cross
Yes you will have to extend the sticks I'm afraid, and GV ones are slightly different so you'll have to extend in the normal way, i.e. cut and weld in 2.5" extensions, then the gear leaver has a rubber cone type thing that you'll need to rework etc. plus when the lift is sorted adjust the sticks for clearance in the hole etc.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:44 pm

MUD NUT
MUD NUT

I've been looking at photos of the JimnyBits Jimny steering spacers, and referencing back to an old thread on here with plenty of photos of mine - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12674

And, I think they should work, although you may need longer bolts...?

Have a look at the photos, I figure they should work the same on a GV?...

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Yeah I think the jimny spacers will fit and it's just a case of fitting longer bolts I'll proceed to do the lift and see how the steering rack looks and if spacers will be required like a few of you have been saying some use them some don't more than likely I will fit the rather than the steering rack being of extended and putting more stress on it

Cheers guys

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]