View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Wheel And Tyre Help Please 

My Vehicle(s): Vitara
Post Wheel And Tyre Help Please
Hi guys,

Picked up my mini monster about 2 weeks ago now (94 Vitara with a 6" lift =)) ) stop laughing as it does look a little like a cow on roller skates lol however i finally have been out in it yesterday and today and i must say the ride is awful! lol, now i know its the nature of the beast but i can't help but think that some more road friendly tyres would help? 85% of the time this will be used on the road and through the winter so ideally i would like to keep a spare set of off road wheels and tyres and have a set of road wheels and tyres.

Now atm it has some 255/65/16 off road 4x4 tyres on and its bumpy and skittish and not very practical (for the road) and as i want to use this in the winter to stop me ruining my other car it has to have some for of feel. If anything its to tall but as everything has been extended i can't reduce it easily. This is a real hindsight moment and i wish i had listened to people and went for something lower as this will spend most of its life on the road x_x

Anyways could someone recommend a good set of wheels and tyres which wouldn't look silly on my Vit? I think 15" would be to small so ideally im going to need a tall tyre and big wheel or similar to what i have? Kinda wish i could turn back the clock and buy a smaller more practical winter car rather than a hard core off roader.

Cheers for any advise
Steve

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): Vitara.
Post Re: Wheel And Tyre Help Please
I drive a Vit with a 3"+3" lift with 31" KL71 tyres on 15" fourtrak wheels. it rides good, its a little bumpy but not too bad.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Mud For Blood
Mud For Blood

My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJJ5
Steve Cole wrote:
Hi guys,

Picked up my mini monster about 2 weeks ago now (94 Vitara with a 6" lift =)) ) stop laughing as it does look a little like a cow on roller skates lol however i finally have been out in it yesterday and today and i must say the ride is awful! lol, now i know its the nature of the beast but i can't help but think that some more road friendly tyres would help? 85% of the time this will be used on the road and through the winter so ideally i would like to keep a spare set of off road wheels and tyres and have a set of road wheels and tyres.

Now atm it has some 255/65/16 off road 4x4 tyres on and its bumpy and skittish and not very practical (for the road) and as i want to use this in the winter to stop me ruining my other car it has to have some for of feel. If anything its to tall but as everything has been extended i can't reduce it easily. This is a real hindsight moment and i wish i had listened to people and went for something lower as this will spend most of its life on the road x_x

Anyways could someone recommend a good set of wheels and tyres which wouldn't look silly on my Vit? I think 15" would be to small so ideally im going to need a tall tyre and big wheel or similar to what i have? Kinda wish i could turn back the clock and buy a smaller more practical winter car rather than a hard core off roader.

Cheers for any advise
Steve

I must say that this will pop up before too long.

:ttiwwp:

I run 235/75/15 Muds on the road without much an issue. What pressure are you running in yours?

Ed

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:17 am

Current tyre pressures are 24psi all round (reduced them to increase foot print) Thinking about it im not sure if the camber bolts have properly been adjusted? #-o

The other thing is the tyres catch on full lock which make the car hard to turn and requires alot off gas. And... this might sound bad but i "think" this is a 3 + 3 kit? Its bloomin tall i know that lol it may be bigger. I have uploaded the only photo i have so perhaps you guys could tell me?

The previous owner has extended everything (presumably that's for the body lift?) so if i reduce the springs to a smaller spring would that be possible without having to shorten everything again? That way im thinking i can put a smaller wheel on and it might not rub the chassis?

As i said i want this to look cool, i want it for the winter and soft roading so it has to be practical on the road and at the moment it feels like a boat lol so i can imagine it will be awful in the winter :-ss

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Mud For Blood
Mud For Blood

Have you adjusted the pitman? Driver's side there are two domed bolts that restrict movement in steering, ie stops it rubbing in turns.

Smart looking truck

Ed

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:38 am

My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.
Your tyres are about 29", not massive, but quite wide. Fit a DECENT set of ATs, they'll look good, and be great on fuel, as well as handling well. FWIW, I've never found remoulds (yours are) that handle as well as new tyres.

Have a look at the general grabber AT or AT2, both come in your size and are great tyres.

Try and get some pics of yours shocks & springs from the side, front and back. It's normally pretty easy to drop a truck. I've a standard set of springs and shocks you can have if you want.

For now, adjust your steering stops on the steering box arm to stop your tyres hitting the chassis:

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:51 pm
Profile WWW

Brilliant cheers for the help mate :) I might take you up in that offer of the springs and shocks, I will take some photo's tomorrow for you all. Also I have managed to find some BF Goodrich tyres local that I have my eye on.... There A/T 265/75/16.... Should that help on fuel and handling?

Steve

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Ok finally got my pictures etc... sorry it took so long.

I will explain my goal as it might be easier for you all to offer your help as i am in desperate need lol :shock:

Currently my goal is to get this running and driving sweet for on the road with A/T tyres. I have 16" alloys which i am going to use with the road tyres and managed to pick up a cheap set of 16" steels the other day for the mud tyres.

The thing is my truck is probably only ever going to see road in winter (main reason for buying it) and light off roading. Thing is i don't have alot of time for off roading but would be nice to keep the wheels and tyres etc for when i do :)

Ok so im a little worried about what rout to take. I don't want it to look like a cow on roller skates but im concerned that if i get really big tyres i will wreck my transmission and diffs? The other thing is as its only the 8V i don't want to labor the engine to much as its already not great on fuel.

Basically i want it to all be in proportion but still look big and meaty so i suppose the question i should be asking is what is the largest size tyres i can go for without ruining the jeep and still keep it good on performance etc? I don't mind lowering it slightly either?

I have added a picture of one which i would like it to look similar to :) It looks like it has had the Bits For Vits 1.5" suspension lift? If that's the case is it easy to remove to help reduce the over all height? I am very interested in the standard springs and shocks however i don't know if i already have standard ones? Any idea how tall they should be? I'm starting to think i should have done these mods myself as i don't know whats the previous owner has done? Also i have added some pictures from the front as im not sure if the camber is wrong on the near side wheel? It does have the correction bolts but that's not to say its been done right #-o lol

Is it better to have positive or negative camber? I know there are alot of questions but im new to vits and im just trying to make it practical for all scenarios. If someone could suggest a good tyre size and a way of lowering it (easily) i would be very grateful :happy:

All the best
Steve

- Post below merged at Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:56 pm - Please edit rather than double posting within 1 hour of last post - Admin -

More Pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Mud For Blood
Mud For Blood

Is it just me, or is the camber wrong on there?

Ed

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:01 am

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): Calmini'd Vitara
jsyboy83 wrote:

Ed

Looks like it on the passenger side

- Post below merged at Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:19 am - Please edit rather than double posting within 1 hour of last post - Admin -

jsyboy83 wrote:

Ed

Looks like it on the passenger side

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:19 am

My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.
there's a LOT of lift on that. Looks like the front is higher too...?

From what you're after. I'd stick with a tyre 29" or less in diameter, and as it has a 3"(?) body lift, drop the suspension back to stock, you could aways then raise it a tiny bit with spacers if you needed to. leave the strut spacers in at the front. You'd need 4x springs and rear shocks.

That other pic looks like 31" tyres. They'd have done some arch work to get them to fit on a truck that low.

Where abouts are you?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:31 am
Profile WWW

Right had a measure up to clarify some things hopefully :oops:

The body lift kit is 3.5" Looks like it has the bits for vits 1.5" suspension lift so that's 5" as for springs i'm not sure what the standard length should be? I measured it rufley as:

Rear Springs: 300mm
Rear Shock: 500mm

Front Springs: 260mm

Those sizes are with the suspension compressed

The front camber is out i think but by how much i don't know? It has got the camber adjustment bolts so i can adjust it but is it better to have more positive or negative and how many degrees either way? Or is it better for it to be neutral 0 deg.

When you say stick to 29" how do i get that figure? As i have seen a set of BF Goodrich A/T's 265/75/16 going cheap and local but didn't know if that would be to big? As its struggling (ish) with whats fitted at the moment

Cheers
Steve

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJ / jeep
That size tyre works out at 31.65 inches if you Google tyre size calculator you'll be able to find out the size you need

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Mud Mad
Mud Mad

265's on a vit... Thats wide.

Depends on what gearing and mileage you would want, i guess.

I'm running 225/70 15's general grabber AT2's, and thats pretty darn close to stock size, giving me a very usable 5th gear, and no issues whatso ever towing a 2 tonne woodchipper through germany all the way to Denmark, doing 90 kph... Ok admittingly i did give it some beans along the way doing 110kph occasionally when noone was watching too much.
Allbeit i wasn't getting more than 200 km out of a tankfull doing this.

Day to day use, i get 400-450 km on a tank, that would be close to 11 km/litre. Google calls that 31 miles/imperical gallon. Sort of unheard of, isn't it, so please do check googles maths on this. To me it don't seem right.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Ok...

So would something along the lines of a 235/75/16 be a good choice? Comes in under 30" Effects the speed by under 10% there narrower than my standard tyres so hopefully won't rub the chassis and narrower tyres are usualy better in the snow if im not mistaken which is why defenders often have them? Think i am right in saying that but i stand to be corrected if that's not the case? And as there taller they should hopefully fill some of the arch gap...

Am i in the right in thinking that will be ok and i will still have a usable 5th gear and not put strain on the diffs or am i still heading in the wrong direction? Also with regards to the suspension i think with taller tyres it may only need a slight drop in suspension to even it out? I.e keeping it looking in proportion etc

cheers
Steve

Edit: Just spoke to a very helpful tyre company who have suggested either a 235/70/16 or 225/75/16.

Out of those two sizes which would people recommend? The guy says they both fall perfectly within tolerance and are similar in price :biggrin: think i may finally be getting somewhere!!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next