Calmini spring replacement *POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE*

Anything to do with the Vitara Series
Munkee
My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Here's mine, but it appears that i may have got a bit of a bargain?

ebay LINK

Can't seem to find them that cheap again :oops:

Fitting list:

Mercedes 200 (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 200 T-mod (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/11995
Mercedes 200D (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 200D T-mod (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 200E (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 200E T-mod (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 220E (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 220E T-mod (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 230E (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 230E T-mod (Extra equipped)* W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 250D W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 250D T-mod W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 300D W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 300D T-mod W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 300E 6 cyl W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
Mercedes 300E 6 cyl T-mod W124 From 1/1985 to 5/1995
mud and diesel wrote: ...turns out ive got a robins nest in my overalls, with a chick in so im going to have to leave the little sod for the next 2 weeks
Russy196
Mud Mad
Mud Mad
My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJ / Jimny / Other

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:07 pm

And I want some Karma for this :mexican:

http://www.threepointedparts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£20, £10 p&p, nice bloke as well.

Ooh, demands, demands :p

I did 2 1/2 turns off for a 2.5" lift.
Just trying 1 3/4 off for a 3.25" lift. About as far as you can go on standard arms

Merc springs can be an arse as some are rated differently, off side/near side.
Just put the fatter one in the off side in a vit.

Nuther snippet for you, giving all my best stuff away today.

Golf Mk4 front bumpstops fit just loverly on Vit front struts.
Saves you keep bottoming them out over the ruff when you have extended the tops.
ped87
Winch Bitch
Winch Bitch
My Vehicle(s): Vitara

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Just bought some merc springs so going to try and get them fitted over the weekend
Dan2020
Got Muds
Got Muds

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm guessing you haven't pulled your finger out yet Munkee? :p

I'm gonna order a set of springs this week and give it a go!!!
Munkee

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Dan2020 wrote:I'm guessing you haven't pulled your finger out yet Munkee? :p

I'm gonna order a set of springs this week and give it a go!!!
*hangs his head in shame*

Give a fella a break, I've not had a day off work since mid December (including weekends) :((

I've some time the 3rd week of feb, it (and other things...) will be done then!

The joys of using your vit as everyday transport!

:tongues1:
mud and diesel wrote: ...turns out ive got a robins nest in my overalls, with a chick in so im going to have to leave the little sod for the next 2 weeks
Dan2020
Got Muds
Got Muds

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Well, I ordered some springs this morning, got delivered this afternoon and fitted this evening, not that I'm rubbing it in or anything!! :p :))

I thought I'd put this in here for you and everyone else too in case it might help:

The Calmini springs were struggling with the weight of the diesel engine and this was now causing them to bind. So thanks to Munkees idea I ordered some Mercedes 230E W124 (85-95) front springs and fitted them with my mechanic mate:

Calmini 3"lift Spring vs. Merc spring:

I didn't cut anything off them, just removed the B4V spring spacers and fitted them upside down (I think) so the flat part of the spring is at the top. Note the use of a spring compressor as these babies are so long that they would be impossible to fit without. We done it on a ramp and also had to use a transmission jack!!:

Fitted with the truck still on the ramp, note no driveshaft was easier to fit with the shafts out:

This is how they sit once back on all fours, not even close to binding now and the height is back where it should be, they also sit much straighter, not bowing out so much:

Munkee

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Yay! So you fit them 'upside down' and didn't chop anything off?

Wow.

You driven it yet?
Dan2020
Got Muds
Got Muds

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:14 am

Munkee wrote:Yay! So you fit them 'upside down' and didn't chop anything off?

Wow.

You driven it yet?

I'm assuming it's upside down as I was thinking the flat part would be at the bottom on a Merc. The bottom of the Calmini spring isn't flat it's just normal like one end of the Merc spring, and the flat end of the Merc spring fits in nicely at the top (tight but does go with a clout!). They are too long to get in without clamps though.

We left the bottom ball joint attached, removed the track rods, driveshafts and un-bolted the hub from the shock giving us more room to manouvre the spring compressor and made it easier to get everything back in place afterwards.

Didn't chop anything off at all, the idea was to fit them and then see how much would need to be removed, but once they were in without spring spacers it was clear that they were at the perfect height with the weight of the diesel engine.

As for driving it, I ran it around the block a few times to make sure all was good then drove it 8 miles home with a blast over an off road section near me to get an idea. I must say, this was the best £60 I have spent in a long time, it no longer dives under braking, doesn't crash & bang (think the old Springs were binding up), more give over the rough stuff actually providing some off road comfort as the lift is provided by being a lot longer not just a lot harder!! Really drives so much better compared to the Calmini springs even when it was petrol powered!!

Not sure what springs you currently have and can't compare these to GV springs if that's what you've got, but you won't be disappointed.

These are a must for a diesel engine vit in my opinion!! Just have to see how they last now!
Munkee

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Er, so you're happy then? :))

I haven't even fitted my kit yet, as I anticipated this problem. My truck is quite a bit lighter than yours though, no winch, nor rollcage.

I do plenty of miles, so we'll see how they hold up...

:-bd :-bd :-bd
ped87
Winch Bitch
Winch Bitch

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:52 am

So are you running calmini springs on the back have you got spacers fitted or was that just on the front?

Still havnt fitted mine yet as it's a daily driver hoping to do it this weekend.
Richie
Green Lanes Mod
Green Lanes Mod
My Vehicle(s): Vitara / SJ / Jimny / Other

Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:21 pm

I ran Calmini rears with my combo of GV fronts and custom Spacers

This seems like a good solution.

R 8)
The Low Ranger...........
Dan2020
Got Muds
Got Muds

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:08 pm

ped87 wrote:So are you running calmini springs on the back have you got spacers fitted or was that just on the front?

Still havnt fitted mine yet as it's a daily driver hoping to do it this weekend.
Yep, Calmini rear springs with spacers, i've got a full external cage with a heavy duty rear bumper etc so a little extra lift to bring it back up wasn't going to hurt!!

I put the spacers in the front when we fitted the diesel engine to bring the height back up, they helped but the Calmini springs just aren't "man" enough to take the extra weight. These Merc springs work great with a diesel motor fitted!
Munkee

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Blimey... January...

Well, the calmini kit FINALLY went on yesterday, with the Merc springs.

I ended up cutting 2 full coils off to get the height I wanted (slightly lower than most people, probably) the rear is about an inch higher than the front, and I'm hoping it'll sag a bit - especially when loaded up.

merc - calmini - ironman (+2")

You can see the windings on the calmini spring are very close together, this gives them a very linear spring rate, which is why problems are encountered when you add more weight. The Merc springs have more of a rising rate, better suited to heavier loads (kinda). My cut merc springs ended up the same length as the calmini. Also, as my merc springs are now shorter, they will be a stiffer spring than Dans, which are uncut.

Couple of things:

1. this setup (Merc front springs, calmini rear, standard front struts, Astra rears) is COMFY! Seriously smooth ride.

2. The calmini kit widens the front so much that you can't drive it without adjusting the tracking first! the front tyres were like this \ ---- /

3. With the calmini front arms fitted, the steering/cornering/body roll is markedly better. I was expecting it to be wallowier, as I've gainer height, but the all-round handling is SOOO much better. I was sceptical, but full marks to calmini, the kit really does improve the handling of a lifted vit.

I'll do a couple hundred miles this week, and see how things progress...