Calmini spring replacement *POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE*

Anything to do with the Vitara Series
Munkee
My Vehicle(s): The Barbie collection.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Anyone run a Calmini +3" kit interested in some replacement front springs?

Before we ask about getting some made in blighty, I wanted to see if anyone else would want a set?

No idea of prices yet.

Yes/no?
Last edited by Munkee on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mud and diesel wrote: ...turns out ive got a robins nest in my overalls, with a chick in so im going to have to leave the little sod for the next 2 weeks
ped87
Winch Bitch
Winch Bitch
My Vehicle(s): Vitara

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Yes i would be :ymdaydream:
mud and diesel
Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis
My Vehicle(s): Big Vitara TDI

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Me too. Ive bought a set of 3" lifts springs off gold jimny on here and was going to run them with a set of daves spacers, but havent got aroung to trying it yet, x_x
"ITS BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TO FADE AWAY"
Munkee

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:34 pm

mud and diesel wrote:Me too. Ive bought a set of 3" lifts springs off gold jimny on here and was going to run them with a set of daves spacers, but havent got aroung to trying it yet, x_x
You need to try this ASAP, or, I could buy the 3" springs off you to try myself?

Basically this has been tried before with no success, but I'm unsure if this is becuse it was a calmini 2" or 3" kit... see here:

Calmini front spring LINK
mud and diesel wrote: ...turns out ive got a robins nest in my overalls, with a chick in so im going to have to leave the little sod for the next 2 weeks
Munkee

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Hmmm, not much of a response...

Another alternative...

I was reading on Zukiworld about air helper springs. Basically a big rubber balloon inside the coil...

You can adjust the pressure with a pump (or plumbed in compressor) they can act as soft bumpstops, or even give more lift if pumped up enough...

I've e-mailed a UK supplier for availability and prices... I reckon this could be cheaper than custom springs...

:ympray: :-? :-??

(not a vit, but you get the idea)
jimny-dave
MUD NUT
MUD NUT
My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Matt Savage then :(|) ?
Wandered off as it's so quiet... You know where I am if you want me... Dave :(
Munkee

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Vitara-Dave wrote:Matt Savage then :(|) ?
Yus, You had any experience with them Dave?

As an aside (just for you, Dave :x ) The Air Lift springs that Matt Savage have listed for the Saab 900/9000 just so happen to be the right length/width for 3" extended rear springs on a Vit... Just incase you know anyone with a saggy rear end... :ymsmug: Part number 60756...
Munkee

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:48 pm

Swift response from Matt Savage - they are in stock for £95... They are on the site, but the part number was listed different.

So I almost ordered...

Then I found a possible source of replacement springs - off the shelf, cheaper... Trying to find a UK source ATM...

:-??
jimny-dave
MUD NUT
MUD NUT
My Vehicle(s): Modest Lil' Jimny ;)

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:42 pm

No experience Steve, just the lad that delivers my Yoghurts has airbags on his slammed motor, and asked me if I know of anywhere that could help him out with a replacement, so I had a search and came up with Matt Savage, so pointed him that way...

I had a free tray of yoghurts off him, so I take it he was pleased =))

;)
Wandered off as it's so quiet... You know where I am if you want me... Dave :(
Munkee

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 pm

They want $72 to ship 2 springs

:banghead:
ubermeister
A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy
My Vehicle(s): The Old G.O.A.T.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:41 am

Munkee wrote:They want $72 to ship 2 springs

Not just for postage, surely? Matt Savage is only a few miles up the road from me, and if that's the case I can go and buy them over the counter and send them out to you.

Ant
Munkee

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:33 pm

ubermeister wrote:
Munkee wrote:They want $72 to ship 2 springs

Not just for postage, surely? Matt Savage is only a few miles up the road from me, and if that's the case I can go and buy them over the counter and send them out to you.

Ant
Ant, that was from an American company for direct replacement springs... puts the price abit high, especially by the time I get stung for the customs & handling (which I always do :banghead: )

Matt Savage are very reasonable (good response too) If I can't find another option soon I'll be ordering a set...

~x(
Munkee

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:28 am

£32.97 has left my account for a set of brand new replacement front springs, including delivery... should be a near perfect fit...

Should be here next week...

Probably won't fit now!! We'll see.

:-ss :-ss
ped87
Winch Bitch
Winch Bitch
My Vehicle(s): Vitara

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Munkee wrote:£32.97 has left my account for a set of brand new replacement front springs, including delivery... should be a near perfect fit...

Should be here next week...

Probably won't fit now!! We'll see.

:-ss :-ss
Let me know how they are as I'm about ready to either strip or sell my vitara
Munkee

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Well, the springs arrived today (KYB, so should be good quality), but due to work, there is no way in heck I'm gonna get to fit them this side of christmas :banghead:

Some Pics

Compared to a V6 LWB front spring (almost the same thickness wire):

Nice healthy 17" length (to be cut down):

14.5" here:

The windings look good, they look like they should be okay, but I haven't had a chance to compare to the calmini springs yet...

Sorry Ped, I can let you know the springs if you want to try yourself?