View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 That's one warm G.O.A.T. 

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

My Vehicle(s): The Old G.O.A.T.
Post That's one warm G.O.A.T.
Driving home from work in the G.V. the other day and it got a little hot under the bonnet. I stopped pretty much straight away and let it cool down, but decided I needed to get it home so decided to limp it home up the motorway. On the motorway the temp started to go up again, but then dropped to where it normally sits in the gauge. When I got home I noticed a leak from the radiator, so last weekend I changed the radiator and the thermostat, flushed the engine and put fresh coolant in it. Took it out for over an hour and the needle never moved. Get in, fixed, thinks I.

Until a few days later. I was out in the truck and the temp gauge suddenly went up to the red, litterally in the space of about three seconds. I was near Morrisons so I pulled into the car park, but before I could stop, the gauge went back down to the normal position, again in the space of about three seconds. It's done that twice since, gauge goes up for about ten seconds, then goes straight back to the normal position again, and stays there.

Anyone any ideas what might be going on? Air lock? Water pump? Or a faulty gauge/sender?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ant

Wed May 30, 2018 1:08 am

Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis

My Vehicle(s): Big Vitara TDI
Post Re: That's one warm G.O.A.T.
It doesn't sound very good, rapid fluctuations in temperature are almost always air bubbles. has it happened since? was the red water level indicator on when the first overheating event happened?

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:15 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

I had no warning lights come in, and there was still coolant in the expansion tank when it got hot the first time. I ran it for a minute or so with the rad cap off and couldn't see any bubbles in the rad, thinking about it though I didn't let it warm up so it wouldn't have opened the thermostat. It's had a new rad and thermostat but not a rad cap, the bloke at the parts place sold me the wrong one.
Haven't really used it since to see if it does it again.

Is there an easy way to see if the water pump is working properly, or would it just get really hot if that was borked?

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:55 am

Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis

It could be a faulty coolant cap, as its a common issue on older BMW's. The cap doesn't provide enough pressure allowing the coolant to boil in the hotter parts of the engine causing identical symptoms. If it didn't run low on coolant, you should be ok. When a water pump fails it'll just get hot really quick and stay there, a simple test is to rev the engine with the cap off, you should see a jet of water in the bottle if its pumping correctly.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:38 am

Welsh Adonis
Welsh Adonis

Any updates on this Ant? :-h

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:06 pm

A very Special Boy
A very Special Boy

Ran it for a couple of minutes without the rad cap on thengave the hoses a good squeeze to try and remove any airlocks, and it seems to have done the trick. Took it to the coast for a camping trip with the wife this weekend just gone250 mile round trip, and it behaved perfectly, needle never wandered from where it usually sits. Seems to be sorted.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]